The Institute in Recent Years

  • Jost Delbrück retired in 2001. The end of the Delbrück era was followed by another crucial event in 2002. The Institute moved into the building of the former University Library at Westring 400, its current location.
  • Later directors were Rainer Hofmann (*1953, director 1997-2004), Andreas Zimmermann (*1961, director 2001-2009) and Thomas Giegerich (*1959, from 2006-2012), each of them further expanding the teaching and research focus of the Institute.
  • In 2007, a new professorship for the law of the sea was created within the cluster of excellence ‘Future Ocean’. The first in the new ‘triumvirate’ of directors became Alexander Proelss (*1973, director 2007-2010).