From the End of World War II Until Today (1945-)

  • Hermann von Mangoldt (1895-1953) was appointed as Ritterbusch’s successor in April 1943 and took over at the end of 1944, after release from his duties as a Navy officer.
  • He immediately organised the evacuation of the Library collection, saving it from the bombardment of Kiel.
  • Mangoldt had kept a certain distance from the Nazi regime without opposing it. His publications of the period are free from National Socialist ideology – except for two instances where he favourably compared the legal situation of Jews in Germany in 1939 to that of coloured people in the USA.
  • In the foundational years of the Federal Republic of Germany, Mangoldt played an important role. Especially as member of the Parliamentary Council he significantly influenced the drafting of the chapter on fundamental rights in the German Basic Law.
  • After the war, Mangoldt was committed to reviving the Institute. In 1948 the Institute’s Library received the status of United Nations Depository Library – the first one in Germany. He also arranged the return of over 2,000 books that Ritterbusch had taken with him from the Institute’s Library to Berlin in 1941.
  • In cooperation with the Research Centre for International Law of the University of Hamburg and its director Rudolf von Laun, the Institute launched the Yearbook for International Law in 1947/48 – today’s German Yearbook of International Law (its title since 1976). Furthermore, the series ‘Publications of the Walther Schücking Institute’ was released again.

 

  • Eberhard Menzel (1911-1979) was appointed as Mangoldt’s successor in April 1955 – two years after Mangoldt’s sudden death. Viktor Böhmert (1902-1975), long-time head of department at the Institute (since 1929) and professor at the Law Faculty since 1943, was appointed second director.
  • However, it was Menzel who shaped the Institute significantly. In his tenure, he managed to make the Institute once again one of the leading institution for international law in Germany. He inspired young scholars to pursue an academic career, such as Dietrich Rauschning, Jost Delbrück, Knut Ipsen, and Rainer Lagoni.
  • In 1964, its 50th anniversary, the Institute moved into new premises – the newly erected University tower at Christian-Albrechts-Platz.

 

  • With Menzel severely ill, Böhmert’s successor, Wilhelm A. Kewenig (1934-1993) steered the Institute through the 1970s’ structural changes: the Institute was integrated into the Faculty of Law and the hierarchical directorate with a first and second director was abolished in favour of an equal collegial directorate with an alternating managing director.
  • The old patriarchal ‘Ordinarienuniversität’ gave finally way to a less top-down way of work when Jost Delbrück (*1935) was appointed as Menzel’s successor in 1976. Like Kewenig, Delbrück brought a cooperative leadership from his studies in the USA, which has lasted until today.
  • For almost 25 years, Delbrück influenced and inspired the Institute’s work. Among his ‘mentees’ are Karl Ulrich Meyn, Eibe Riedel, Hans-Joachim Schütz, Klaus Dicke, Stephan Hobe, Anne Peters, and Christian Tietje. The list is complemented by Siegfried Magiera and Doris König who were mentored by Kewenig and Rüdiger Wolfrum, respectively.
  • During the co-directorate of Delbrück and Rüdiger Wolfrum (*1941), from 1982 to 1993, the Institute became an outright ‘power house’ in international law in Germany. The University team was notoriously successful at the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competitions and several important symposia were held in Kiel (e.g. Antarctic Challenges I-III, 1983, 1985, 1987; Strengthening the World Order: Universalism versus Regionalism, 1989; The Future of International Law Enforcement: New Scenarios – New Law, 1992).
  • A law of the sea expert and former member of the delegation of the third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea, Wolfrum firmly established the law of the sea as a focus of the Institute’s work. He would later serve as judge at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in Hamburg (from 1996 to 2017), over which he presided from 2005 until 2008.